An Introduction to Psychedelic-assisted Psychotherapy & Gestalt
Sunday, March 6, 2022 | 12 – 5 p.m. | Zoom | 4 CEUs
This workshop is an introduction to the recent revival of the use of psychedelics as an adjunct to traditional psychotherapy. We will cover the history, current “above-ground” clinical trials and the reported data, as well as the ongoing “underground” practice(s) with psychedelics for healing. This will be a very practical workshop, covering in detail, the experience(s) of and clinical application(s) of Ketamine, MDMA, LSD, and Psilocybin, effects of different dosage(s), when and how to make referrals, the controversy about intervention styles and brain plasticity, the challenges of integration, and the potential impact on our business model. We will explore the incredible transpersonal/mystical experiences clients are regularly having as well as the darker side and concerns about the use of these medicines.
In this workshop, participants will:
- Understand the basic history and current state of research and clinical trial results, the ongoing “underground” psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy available now, and the applications and implications clinically, theoretically and financially in your current practice of psychotherapy.
- Understand the basics of introducing psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy into your current practice, including training options, when and how to make a referral, current theories about dosages, self-directed vs. standard intervention, integration, how this may impact your business model and the future of psychotherapy.
- Understand how the reported transpersonal/spiritual experiences of clients in psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy and their integration are highly compatible with Gestalt’s current paradigm and how they challenge Gestalt’s theoretical conceptualization of Identity/Self, Contact boundary and Field theory.
Michael E. O’Brien
Michael E OBrien is a licensed Psychoanalyst in private practice for 31 years and on faculty at The Gestalt Center in NYC. Originally trained in the work of Wilhelm Reich he has also studied SE, IFS, EMDR and Primal Therapy. He is a student and teacher of A Course in Miracles and his passion is integrating spiritual/transpersonal experiences/paradigms into the psychotherapeutic model.
- $120 Full Tuition
- $110 GTIP Associate Members
- $100 Students/ GTIP Trainees
- Tuition Assistance Available: contact Kelly Kampf: [email protected]
Zoom: Link shared upon registration.
Or request a mail in registration form by emailing our Operations Manager Laura Henrich at [email protected]
This session is co-sponsored by Bryn Mawr College Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research for a maximum of 4 credit hours. Bryn Mawr College GSSWSR, as a CSWE accredited School of Social Work, is a pre-approved provider of continuing education for Social Workers in PA and many other states.
GTIP is approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Psychology to offer 4 hours of continuing education for psychologists. GTIP maintains responsibility for the program. The Pennsylvania State Board of Psychology requires Psychology workshop participants to furnish their license number to receive a certificate of attendance.